I’ll be
honest, I don’t have a solid idea of how coding, algorithms and technological
programming works, so I don’t feel 100% comfortable in writing a critical
review on one of those articles this week. I do however, have an interest in
surveillance. I realize that there are patterns in how my technological devices
and that the Internet responds to the searches I conduct. I know better than to
believe that my recent visit to the Aritzia website has nothing to do with the
Aritzia advertisement I now see on the right-hand side of my web browser. Going
into lecture today, Chapter 5 of Zittrain’s book really appealed to me.
Although in the back of my mind I am aware that there is the possibility that
my activity on technological devices is being tracked, I find it amazing that
we as a society can comfortably accept this invasion of our privacy. Zittrain
refers to the reliance that society
has on the Internet and PC. It seems that nowadays, people can do everything from
their phones: communicate with others, work, bank and shop. He considers how
much would be at risk for society should be Internet or PC malfunction.
Therefore, those controlling these technological appliances are able to do so
via preemption, specific injunction and surveillance. It has come to the point
that we are so dependant on the Internet and technology in our daily lives,
that our online freedom is something we’re willing to sacrifice. We no longer consider
the manufacturer tracking of our mobile devices for updates odd, or the
possibility of someone tapping into our laptop’s microphone frightening. Where
do we draw the line? Coding/algorithm professionals, would you have anything to
say in how those concepts fit into the idea of surveillance?
No comments:
Post a Comment