Siva Vaidhyanathan's view of the interdisciplinary nature of Critical Information Studies calls to mind Marcia Bates' idea of orthogonal studies. These studies move across all other fields of specialized study in a specific way. Orthogonal study favours breadth of a more generalized knowledge over specialized, niche knowledge. Bates describes three professions that are orthogonal: journalism, education, and Library and Information Sciences, since these professions require a specific way of treating a large array of material versus a more traditional approach to the academic study of a specified topic. One of the major things that drew me to the iSchool was its emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach to knowledge. I've always been a "know a little about a lot" type of person, finding myself easily bored with the more tedious aspects of being anywhere close to an expert in any particular area. That being said, I do applaud the valiant efforts of those who strive to be at the top of their field. I (not so) secretly harbour the desire for that level of dedication!
*My lack of dedication shows through even in my delayed blog postings.
- Cathleen "Maggie" Keenan
No comments:
Post a Comment