Monday, October 5, 2015
W4 - Access
I found today's class particularly interesting because access/accessibility has been an issue on my mind. I think we can all acknowledge that there is a divide between those who have access to technology, versus those that don't. I agree that this divide may be decreasing, if we're looking at the basic concept of access; the proportion of individuals in our society that has access to technology and Internet is increasing. However, I think it's important to note that basic access to technology doesn't automatically imply knowledge of how to use this technology. I would argue that this divide in knowledge of technology use doesn't just exist between older folks and younger folks. There was an interesting point raised in class about how information professionals like librarians may become obsolete, as younger generations grow up immersed in technology and won't need the guidance of how to utilize it. While younger generations have increased familiarity, there is still a common lack of knowledge on how to navigate the information world (example: not all undergraduate students know how to navigate through a database). It's also important to be mindful that not all individuals are able to adapt to ever-changing technologies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Agreed. But another issue that goes along with that is the exponential growth of information technology. In the future, it's not inconceivable to see our education become obsolete in light of advances in the field. Even our knowledge of databases may become outdated knowledge in light of a more efficient, average user-friendly method of accessing academic writing (the goal is access and accessibility; if databases are hard for a lot of students to navigate, it's difficult to imagine nothing being done to remedy that). Just a thought.
ReplyDelete