Saturday, November 21, 2015

WEEK 10: Sorenson and Vosco

"... who really benefits?" (p. 726). I couldn't get that question out of my mind. It also brings to mind Vosco's statement (2002) of "continuity despite change" (Cited in Marx and the Political Economy of the Media 2016, Google Books). If in fact Sorensen reasons that "conglomerates rather than the new entrants (that) are dominating market online" (p. 741), I wonder if the "changes" in the industry due to new methods of funding online are really that much of a stark difference than how the reality is in the industry to begin with. Perhaps financing model changes have crystallized and made it more apparent the concentration of power dynamics in the hands of the few major players (benefactors) as opposed to the new entrants (struggling, marginalized and the uneven play field that always was in the capitalistic system). I wonder then how new entrants could ever catch up or if the trend of consolidation will continue to truly shape the industry in a very exclusionary way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment