I
really enjoyed Boyd and Crawford’s article on Big Data and their discussion of
how collecting and analyzing such Big Data is not always as powerful and
beneficial as one might imagine. Boyd and Crawford ask whether examining information
such as conversations on social media, phone calls, and individuals’ genetics
will ultimately lead to enhanced services for the public or cause more
breaching of privacy and aggressive advertising. I believe that the latter is
more likely since currently Big Data seems to be predominantly used to improve
marketing strategies. While there may be research areas in which Big Data is
more useful than other disciplines, I agree with the authors’ belief that numbers
do not “speak for themselves” (Boyd & Crawford, 2012, p. 666). I feel that
other disciplines, such as psychology and sociology, are just as valuable as
Big Data in understanding human activities.
I also found the authors’ discussion
surrounding ethical use of publicly available information quite interesting. In
my opinion, it is not acceptable to distort or misrepresent an individuals’
public writing. However, I don’t think that researchers should be required to attain
consent from social media users in order to utilize their data, since these users
are knowingly posting personal information for all to see.
References
boyd,
danah and Crawford, Kate (2012). Critical questions for big data: Provocations
for a cultural, technological, and scholarly phenomenon. Information, Communication
& Society 15(5): 662–679.
-
Alicja
I wholly agree with your stance that researchers should not be required to attain consent from social media users. In reality (outside of the Internet; the external world) gathering data from what a user does publicly is simply known as observation. It should now common knowledge that anything and everything one does online can somehow be tracked and recorded (observed) by another party. The average internet user needs to know that if they do not want to be part of “Big Data”, they must completely refrain from online activity.
ReplyDelete