Sunday, December 13, 2015

Week 12: The Right to Be Forgotten

What most concerned me about the whole RTBF case study is how Google has gone about erasing the requested information. I Googled it :) and came across this article, published in the Guardian.

"Beyond anecdote, we know very little about what kind and quantity of information is being delisted from search results, what sources are being delisted and on what scale, what kinds of requests fail and in what proportion, and what are Google’s guidelines in striking the balance between individual privacy and freedom of expression interests." 

It's an intriguing read, an open letter compiled by 80 academics, and the points they bring up and valid and thought-provoking. We must constantly challenge those who threaten our individual liberties and rights, lest we be washed out to sea.

1 comment:

  1. I think the first sentence of the article you posted really speaks to the ambiguity, complexity, and confusing nature of information/data storage. How much do we (as a general public) really understand about data collection, and is our so called "knowledge" constructed by the corporations who collect and utilize our data? I don't mean to sound like I'm subscribing to conspiracies, but in all honestly, there's no way for us (again, the general public) to really know how much data is being collected, how it's being collected, and what/how exactly it's being used.

    ReplyDelete